My Playstation 4 has been running sluggish lately. Navigating the main menu is slow and at times unresponsive. I currently have a 2TB spinning Hard drive installed. I was getting fed up with the OS not responding so found a solution. I remember once I had an update fail on me in the past and remembered the PS4 had a “safe mode” so booted into it a voila!
HOW TO REBUILD THE PLAYSTATION 4 DATABASE
- Turn off the Playstation 4
- Turn on the Playstation 4 but keep holding the power button
When you press and hold the power button, the Playstation will beep once, keeping holding it down
- Keep holding the Power button until you hear the second beep
- Let go of the Power button to boot into safe mode
- Connect your PS4 controller via usb
- Navigate down to “REBUILD DATABASE”
This step will rebuild the OS’ database, sort of like a defrag for a computer
- Give your Playstation some time to rebuild its database, it can take about 5 minutes
- Reboot the PS4
Once your Playstation 4 reboots, you should have a nice responsive menu and the OS should feel a lot smoother and fluid.