Ever since the amazing Pocket Weather app was decomissioned I’ve been stuck looking for a comparible replacement. I’ve been missing the app so badly. I use use the Home Assistant app daily for pretty much everything so it makes sense to go check the Melbourne Weather Radar (BOM) using the Home Assistant app.
If you haven’t already setup the Home Assistant Bureau of Meterology (BOM) custom integration in Home Assistant, head over and follow that gudie first before coming back here to configure the Bereau of Meterology (BOM) Home Assistant Weather Radar Camera Sensor.
SETUP THE BUREAU OF METEROLOGY (BOM) RADAR
- Navigate to your configuration.yaml file in Home Asssitant
- View a list of valid locations to use for the next step by visiting https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/bom/#valid-location-values
- Add the following camera sensor, replacing Melbourne with a location from the list in the step above.
# Bom Weather gif camera: - platform: bom location: Melbourne name: Melbourne Radar
- Click on SAVE
- Reboot Home Assistant
- Navigate to Lovelace
- Click on +
- Select Picture Entity Card
- Add the sensor you setup in step 2.
- Click SAVE
You’ll now have a working rain radar that gets updated automatically. Here is a preview of my weather panel lovelace configuration with the BOM sensors and this radar for inspiration.